Star Wars Day is almost upon us and for those of you that live under a rock that would be May 4th as in “May the force be with you”. If you don’t get it then we suggest you catch up on your Star Wars knowledge before setting out on this geek fest day! If you are not interested in sitting through the 15 Hour movie marathon yes, it would take 15 hours to watch all the Star Wars movies in the franchise then sit back and impress your friends with some interesting “unknown” facts about this space-themed world.
- Harrison Ford was helping George Lucas try out actors for the role of Han Solo when Lucas decided that Ford would be best in the role.
- The four biggest stars who lost out to Ford were Jack Nicholson, Al Pacino, Burt Reynolds, and Christopher Walken.
- The voice of Darth Vader came down to a voice-only competition between Orson Welles and James Earl Jones.
- Most theatre chains thought that Star Wars would fail at the box office. 20th Century Fox paired Star Wars with The Other Side of Midnight which theatres were anxious to run.
- Star Wars became the highest grossing movie of all time whilst The Other Side of Midnight was a big box office disappointment.
- Parts of The Empire Strikes Back were filmed on a glacier in Norway.
- George Lucas funded The Empire Strikes Back himself to get away from studio meddling.
- The famous response “I know” to Princess Leia’s “I love you” was an ad lib.
- The word “Vader” means father in some Germanic languages so German and Dutch viewers had an early inkling that Darth Vader was Luke’s father.
- The actors didn’t know until the last possible moment that Darth Vader would be revealed as Luke’s father.
- Jabba the Hut was a puppet. It took several puppeteers to handle “it”.
- George Lucas thought of having Yoda played by a trained monkey.
- The familiar humming sound made by the lightsaber is the sound of an old television set.
- Star Wars collectable coins are legal tender on the island of Niue in the South Pacific.
Outer Space is Close By
Well, these are just a few of the hundreds of odd and curious facts about the Star Wars series of movies. We may not have a Star Wars themed slot game but we do offer a collection of space-oriented slots such as Max Damage, Battlestar Galactica, Star Dust, Planet Exotica, Star Scape, Drone Wars, and Scary Friends to keep you entertained. You can play all of these casino games at the casino for real money jackpots or free play just for fun!
Happy space travel to all!